Thursday, January 8, 2009

I could watch you all day...

I am a very visual person. I have become addicted to movies. I'll watch one almost every night. I love reading too but I delight in seeing a narritive come to life. Last night I watched Into the Wild and was amazed. It was shaped so beautifully (directed) by Sean Penn and emits the awesomeness of Eddie Vedder throughout it's soundtrack.

I generally prefer films of the indie/art house persuasion. I love films that are more creative and original, more focused on the detail and depth of a story, rather than the purpose to make millions.

Not unlike the night sky, I will often watch films just for their stars (Zooey Deschanel, Kirsten Dunst, Ryan Gosling, Heath Ledger, Billy Crudup, Emile Hirsch, Isla Fischer, Audrey Hepburn, just to name a few). Occasionally, I will dislike a movie but watch it over and over again because of a specific character portrayal (eg: Kirsten Dunst's character in Elizabethtown & Sienna Miller's Edie Sedgwick in Factory Girl), other times because of a sweet soundtrack. But ultimately, I love to watch films that have inspiring and challenging story lines, creative screenplays, beautifully depicted scenes and actors who can make their characters absolutely shine.


Films I like are not always cheerful and on occasion a little depressing. I like a mixture of the cute and whimsical love stories and tales of the mentally challenged seeking to find the truth somewhere or in some thing. Some of my favourite films are the ones that most of my friends hate, but for me, I love films with greater meaning that the plain obvious, films with underlying revelations and the driest of dry humour. Here is just a few of my favourite, favourite films, and if you haven't already, you should definitely check them out...


Juno (2008)
Into The Wild (2007)
Dedication (2007)
Half Nelson (2006)
Almost Famous (2000)
The Last Kiss (2006)
Funny Face (1957)
In the Land of Women (2007)
Fly Away Home (1996)- loved this growing up
All I want For Christmas (1991)
Definitely, Maybe (2008)
Lords of Dogtown (2005)
A Lot Like Love (2005)
Before Sunrise (1995)
Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)
Alice in Wonderland (1951)
Peter Pan (2003)
21 (2008)

and I will stop...for now....peace x

4 comments:

Angela said...

I also loved this movie. But, I never ever want to see it again. It broke my heart to pieces. I was sobbing when I watched it.

Have you watched "The Kite Runner"? It is a fantastic movie.

chrissybizzle said...

into the wild is definately in my top 5.
i loved factory girl! mostly because of sienna mind you..
have you seen garden state and amelie? they are really good movies too..
x

Jesse said...

I know, so sad...

Thanks for the other movie suggestions, I've seen Garden State but not the others, I've heard heaps about them though, they sound really good, I'll have to hunt them down xx

amy said...

i watched fly away home over and over when i was little.